| The Harbor-UCLA Research and Education Institute
(REI) is a nonprofit corporation, affiliated with, and adjacent to,
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Responsibility for administering research
and education grants, which are dedicated to improving the health
and well-being of patients, is a result of an agreement with Los Angeles
County and REI.
Research began in the early 1950s with the
formation of the Research Committee in 1951, under the direction of
Dr. Walter P. Martin, and the Attending Staff Association (ASA) in
1952. (The ASA changed their name to the Professional Staff Association
in 1973.) Throughout the 1950s, research grants conducted at Harbor
were administered by UCLA. That changed in 1963 when the medical staff
hired a full-time research administrator, Frank J. DeSantis, to seek
grants and contracts. That year, research expenditures were only $100,000
with investigators working on only three NIH grants. Today, expenditures
surpass $50 million and approximately 600 grants are being administered
In 1981, REI was established as a separate
nonprofit corporation. This status enabled flexibility, not only in
administering projects, but also in constructing buildings. REI has
overseen construction of the A.F. Parlow Library of Health Services,
the Footlighters Child Life Center, two research buildings, as well
as renovation of over 200,000-square-feet of barrack space to serve
as research laboratories. These state-of-the-art facilities are home
to hundreds of investigators in a wide range of disciplines. Today,
REI employs more than 900 people, including MDs and PhDs, research
nurses, laboratory technicians, and support staff.
Researchers at REI have led the development of numerous cutting-edge studies.
Walter P. Martin Research Center.
Saint John's Cardiovascular Research Center.